Saturday, November 2, 2013

My Bus Ride To Dallas

I took the Greyhound bus to Dallas when I went to the State Fair of Texas Gospel Outreach on October the 18th. I had many opportunities to witness on the way. My bus was supposed to leave at 8:55, but we didn't leave till 9:52. The first person I talked to was Justin at the Monroe station. He was waiting for the bus to Baton Rouge. I gave him two tracts as I told him why I was going to Dallas. He had a Bible that someone had gave him. A man,who I would talk to in Shreveport, was curious when he saw me put a Got Peace? tract on the pay-phone. I gave tracts to two other people who were getting on the bus going to Baton Rouge. The bus to Dallas arrived about 20 minutes later. 

On the bus, I gave tracts to Terrell and Wesley. I found that Greyhound had a perfect place for tracts on the back of their seats. 

We had several stops on the way to Shreveport. We picked up a few people in Ruston and 1 Spanish man in Grambling. We got to the Shreveport station at 11:50. 

When I got off the bus for a few minutes, I spoke to the man who got on at Grambling. His name was David. He was going to New Orleans. I gave him the Spanish Ten Commandments tract. Inside the station, Wesley asked to use my phone to call his contact. He was an alcoholic who was seeking help. I gave him the Got Peace? tract. He said "I need peace." While getting a drink and a snack, I talked with Steven. He was on the same bus. He said that he was reading his Bible on the bus. I told him that I was doing the same. Later, he would be sitting beside me. Several new people got in at Shreveport. We made some stops once we got into Texas. At one stop, it looked like the bus was over booked. The driver scrambled to see what happened. One man was standing for a few miles. At another, the driver asked Steven to move so that a family could sit together. I motioned for him to sit by me. We talked for the most part till we got to Dallas. He was from North Carolina, going to work in Arizona. He told me about some things that happened back in North Carolina. I believe that The Lord had me there to encourage him. I gave him a few tracts and an invite to the Bezeugen tract club, 

At a travel center stop, one man sneaked beer onto the bus. I think he drunk it before the driver found out that he had it. Another woman tried to buy an alcoholic beverage with the bus driver near her. He told her that she couldn't. I took a few pictures at the adjoining restaurant of the western figures. 

I gave tracts to two other Spanish men - Alonso and Daniel. Alonso said that his mother, who was in Mexico, is a Christian. He read the Ten Commandments tract that I gave him.
We got to Dallas  at 5:45, which was an hour late.

(This is outside of the Dallas bus station)

I gave a Give Thanks tract to our bus driver as we were exiting. I told him Happy Thanksgiving since I probably wouldn't see him again. 
The first person who I offered a tract to said no! As soon as I get to the Dallas station, a Spanish man rejects a tract! I got to give out several there, though! Carl sent me a text, saying that he was being delayed by traffic. I sent one back, telling that "I'll witness while I wait". I was able to give out 3 more Spanish tracts to Carlos, Mario, and a woman who was going out the station with luggage. Outside, I gave tracts to Reagan, a deaf man, and three women who were walking by. Inside, I talked to Danny. He was traveling from Florida to Sacramento, Ca. He was from an area in Ca. that was a few hours away from where my wife lived. Kenny had a lay over till 3:30  the next morning because of a booking error. I gave him a few tracts to read while he was waiting. He was going to trucking school in Georgia. He was from Oklahoma. 
It was almost 6:30 when Carl picked me up. I am thankful for the time that I had to witness at the station. I may never see those people again, but at least they have received a Gospel tract! 
I am grateful to Carl and his wife,Mande, for their hospitality. I met their son, Brendan, also. He is the same age as my oldest son. I stayed the night at their home. We had a good evening of fellowship. Carl showed me all the  Bezeugen tracts that were printed. It was a blessing to be with them on Friday and Saturday. We were at the Texas State Fair on Saturday for the outreach (Please read the previous post for the details of that day of evangelism!) 
As soon as we closed the booth down, we had to get to the station in Mesquite. The bus was scheduled to leave at 11:30.  The reason why I had to leave like this was because I was singing in our pastor appreciation service with my daughter on Sunday morning.The bus arrived at 11:51. I gave out my last tract in Texas to a man that got off the bus there. On the way back, it was quiet because it was late. I tried to sleep a little, but I think I only got about 40 minutes in. I made it back to Monroe at 5:04 Sunday morning. What did I do when I was waiting for my father to pick me up? I gave a tract to a man who was getting gas! 


  1. Thank you for doing all this. You are a great example to me.

  2. Thanks, bro! Let's keep on reaching out for souls!