Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year!

Another year has come and gone. I pray that you accomplished everything you wanted to in this last year. Now, we are facing a new one with new opportunities. A few of my resolutions are: Read the Bible through again (using the Prof. Grant Horner's Bible Reading System ), pray earlier in the morning, engage more people in conversations while witnessing, give out more tracts, encourage others to be a bold witness, and memorise more scripture.
I am re-posting my testimony because it was twenty years ago on New Year's Eve that I had the accident that led me to getting saved. I have shared this with several over the weekend and tonight at Walmart.
Twenty years ago, I was involved in the party scene. I thought I was living the good life. I had moved to Shreveport to manage the GNC at Southpark Mall. I had just bought a 1992 Dodge Sport. I was twenty-three at this time. Before this,I managed the GNC at Pecanland Mall in Monroe. In November, my boss asked me if I could transfer to the Shreveport store. I eagerly told him that I could. I was wanting to go up in the company.
I had met a young woman at one of the clubs that I hung out with my friend, Al. We started dating before I moved. She lived in Ruston. I stopped in see her one day when I was going back to West Monroe to visit. She broke up with me that day. The day before New Year's Eve, she called me to ask us to hold a place for her at the club where we would be at in Monroe. I was going to show her that I could be with someone else! We all got to the bar that night with partying on our minds. I started drinking mixed drinks. Sometime after midnight, I blacked-out. I remember just bits and pieces of what was to happen after that. I remember walking out to my truck. After that, I remember shutting the passenger door to the truck. Then, I was walking on the other side of the bridge down Trenton Street in West Monroe. Then, I was at the door of Al's apartment. I woke up at 10:00 on New Year's Day. I told Al that we needed to find my truck. I didn't know where it was! We drove around looking for it in West Monroe and Monroe. I finally called The Monroe Police Department to ask if they had towed the truck. The woman on the line told me that it had been towed to Master's Auto Service in Monroe. I went to see it there. The hood and front was crushed in the middle. The owner of the towing company told me that I was fortunate to be alive. I had hit a utility pole on the corner of Pine and Walnut, which was several blocks from the club.The police had pulled some of my hair from the windshield where I had hit with my head. I had walked about two miles from where I had wrecked. The officer that worked the accident called me at midnight on January 1st to ask me about what had happened. I lied about what I did, but they knew that I had been drinking. I had to go back to Shreveport without transportation. Over the next several months I depended on my parents to come to bring me back home on most weekends. I walked to work sometimes and got a taxi at other times. One day at work, I was talking with a regular customer about some of our products. She and her husband worked for the Shreveport Police Department. We ended up talking about church and Jesus. She asked where I went to church. I told her that I was trying to go back to church. She said "You're not doing anything! You better come back to Jesus now!"
There had been others who had witnessed to me before, but her words made me to think. I didn't write the exact date down, but around March the 15th I repented of my sins, asked for forgiveness, and was saved at my apartment in Kingston Village Apartments on Kingston Road! Jesus came into my life! What a change! I got born-again! I told everyone what had happened to me! I couldn't go back to the clubs anymore! I couldn't listen to the same music anymore! I didn't have the desire to drink anymore! I was a changed man! I was able to move back home and get my old job back in April. I started passing out tracts. I went to church whenever I could. I told my testimony everywhere I went. I am still telling it today. I am thankful for every opportunity to share my faith. Let's tell our testimony to those that need to hear it!

No comments:

Post a Comment